An interview with James Hardie: NZ fibre cement cladding products
We recently had a chat with building product manufacturer James Hardie, a global leader in fibre cement products. Now operating in its 132nd year, the company continues to challenge convention within the construction industry and leads the way in delivering innovative building products and solutions. We chatted to them about the benefits of their products in the kiwi environment, and their commitment to sustainability.
I’m sure many already know you are a leading manufacturer of building products in NZ, specialising in exterior cladding, what are the various forms of cladding you produce in New Zealand?
James Hardie produce a wide range of panel and weatherboard fibre cement cladding products. The variety of options gives greater design flexibility, from the large format panels to the deep shadow lines of Linea Weatherboard. You can also mix and match products allowing a combination of vertical and horizontal looks.
James Hardie Stria Cladding and Linea Weatherboard
What makes these unique and suitable for the NZ environment?
Innovation is vital to maintaining our leading position in the fibre cement industry. We invest heavily in research and development, with a special emphasis on product quality and production efficiency to develop durable and low maintenance products that can stand the test of time. Our products have been engineered to stand up to harsh conditions, including coastal conditions which make them ideal for the NZ environment.
What would you suggest is important to consider or take into account when choosing cladding for your home?
Choosing the right cladding for your home doesn’t just come down to the look, ensuring you select the right material is essential for a durable low maintenance home. Important benefits of James Hardie fibre cement include:
- Weather resistant – engineered to stand up to harsh conditions, including coastal conditions
- Easy to clean – Fast and effective using just low-pressure water and a brush
- Easy to paint – You can paint our cladding any colour you like. From traditional white to darker, more contemporary shades.
- Fire resistant – James Hardie claddings are classified as non-combustible materials
- Durability – Resistant to fire and damage from moisture and rotting when installed and maintained correctly
What kind of cladding would you recommend for a modern coastal home on Rangitahi, that would be exposed to the elements?
We have a number of products suitable to the coastal environment on Rangitahi, but one that stands out is Stria Cladding.
Stria Cladding is an ultra-sleek cladding option that plays with definitive lines and shadows. It has distinctive deep grooved lines and can be laid horizontally or vertically, introducing an interesting design feature to the walls of your home.
You can paint it the dark modern colours and laid vertically it makes a bold, architectural statement.
James Hardie Stria Cladding
What are some of the features and benefits of this particular product?
- Engineered to stand up to harsh conditions, including coastal conditions
- The interlocking edges allow for quick and easy installation
- Wide panel format allows faster installation
- Can be painted any colour, even the darker shades.
- Cost effective and long lasting
- Resistant to damage from moisture and rotting
- Up to 60 minute fire resistance rating (FRR) can be achieved when installed as per the James Hardie Fire and Acoustic Design Manual
- Classified as non-combustible material
- Low maintenance
- 15 year product warranty
Why should someone choose James Hardie over other NZ cladding options?
The benefits that come with choosing a premium fibre cement product:
Engineered for durability, fibre cement is resistant to fire and damage from moisture and rotting, making it the ideal low maintenance alternative to traditional building materials.
Fibre cement offers both contemporary and flexible design options and is used by many New Zealanders to create stunning facades. The simple combination of cellulose fibre, sand, cement and water, give the product its strength to stand the test of time.
How do you incorporate sustainability into your brand & products?
Our products are manufactured with a focus on reducing their environmental impact, using sustainable and low toxicity products with minimal volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). We have continued to invest heavily in the development and design of fibre cement products that are durable, low maintenance and energy efficient.
We are committed to ecologically sustainable development (ESD) principles. As part of this commitment we measure ourselves against the following criteria:
- Water and resource conservation
- Energy consumption and management
- Use of renewable and recyclable resources as raw materials
- Avoiding the use of environmentally damaging raw materials
- Pollution reduction e.g. treatment of water before its disposal into public storm water
- Protection of the natural environment
The programs we’ve put in place to focus on these ESD principles have considerably improved the resource and energy efficiency of our operations and building systems. They will also ensure an ongoing improvement in the environmental performance of our products and services.
Head to their website here to find out more about their products and how they can assist in building your new home!